Associate Director - PBO Logistics
Company: Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: November 17, 2021
Associate Director - PBO Logistics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical
company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative
medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery
and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of
patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world.
Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver
diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company's five core values. That's because
we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we
are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and
points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that
discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in
areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance
the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by
enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come
join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values
inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company
founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to
patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the
workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing
the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more
fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where
you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every
individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their
skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has
resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of
thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and
unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are
available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining
Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs
and improve life by advancing the care of patients with
Role and Responsibilities:
Leads, directs and manages a team responsible for oversight of
global logistics and transportation activities in the
Pharmaceutical and Biologics group. The individual will help lead
and execute the overall team logistics strategy. This includes, but
not limited to, negotiating national and regional partner
agreements to ensure world class costs and savings; translating
logistical best practices and industry knowledge to securely move
drug product without interruption; develop or improve cold chain
shipping requirements; maintain movement-inventory accuracy; and
insure compliant practices are designed into the processes and
- Budgetary responsibility for freight, warehousing and
distribution. Tracking and management of performance to
- Coordinate product delivery logistics with suppliers,
importers, transportation companies and warehouse operations.
Develop efficient routings and scheduling.
- Lead, coach, mentor, train and develop the Logistics Team.
Inspire the Logistics Team to achieve their productivity,
efficiency, accuracy and effectiveness goals
- Manage third party warehousing for common components and
distribution of final drug product to customer in a compliant
manner consistent with Gilead and customer expectations.
- Negotiate contract pricing with freight forwarders and other
- Ensure the accuracy of freight invoices, brokerage charges and
import duty billings
- Lead the compliant implementation and ongoing operational
execution for Cold Chain logistics. Work closely with technical and
quality teams to align with the selection, qualification and
ongoing operation for shipping lanes and with carriers.
- Work with the cross-functional teams. Establish strategies and
execution of action items for effective implementation
- Establish systems, standard operating procedures and metrics
(KPIs). Lead monthly and quarterly business reviews with
transportation and other service providers
- Develop and implement strong structure and organization to
drive the logistics and agreement/rate process.
- Create strategies for logistics and cold chain to identify and
mitigate disruption/intervention.Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to lead and develop direct reports and build effective
cross-functional / cross-level teams
- Stakeholder focus with ability to develop strong business
- Ability to identify, design and implement process
- Understanding and ability to perform business, cost /benefit
and financial analysis
- Very good computer skills relating to SAP, Oracle and Microsoft
- Able to develop complex concepts, techniques, and standards.
Ability to effectively lead global program management.
- Able to develop solutions to complex problems which require an
in-depth degree of ingenuity, creativity and innovativeness.
- Challenges are frequently unique and solutions may serve as
precedent for future decisions, which affect the entire
- Able to interpret, execute, and recommend modifications to
- Demonstrates effective communication skills and the ability to
deal across several multi-national agencies, sites and
- Knowledge of Six Sigma methodologies for continuous improvement
of the supply chain.
Education and Experience
- 8+ years of relevant experience and a BS/BA OR 10+ years of
relevant experience and a MA/MBA.
- Experience in managing supply chain logistics projects across
multiple locations and geographies.
- Previous work experience at a freight forwarder or direct
management of freight forwarder is desired
- 10% Travel may be required.
- Advanced logistics and international multi-mode transportation
experience; international trade, customs and compliance and FDA
- Pharmaceutical industry experience in Commercial and Clinical
supply chains is desired
- Supply chain expertise in a GMP environment
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally between multiple
teams and time zones
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed
to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment
and selection will be made without discrimination based on race,
color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation,
physical or mental disability, genetic information or
characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or
other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds
specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to
ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by
Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era
Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans
with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation
in the job application process may contact for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business
implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead
has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors
to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment.
"Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a
two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been
administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a
sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or
disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a
For more information about equal employment opportunity
protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each
employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce
reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up
our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and
prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences
and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this
Keywords: Gilead Sciences, Inc., San Mateo , Associate Director - PBO Logistics, Executive , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!