Company: Guideline, Inc.
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: September 22, 2022
Guideline is looking for a Payroll Manager to join the Finance
team to support our growth. We are looking for an individual
contributor to join the Finance team as payroll and benefits
manager. The Payroll Manager will be an important member of the
Finance to maintain all aspects of payroll, benefits, state payroll
filings and HR compliance work regarding payroll. You will also
foster relationships with outsourced providers and with team
members by establishing relationships with multiple teams.
Reporting to our Senior Director of Finance you will be an
essential partner to the Finance and People Operations teams and
act as a liaison for our payroll provider.
Guideline Inc. aims to give everyone a better future by making it
easy (and enjoyable!) to save for retirement. We're changing an
industry that hasn't seen innovation in over 40 years-an industry
that's left small businesses and a changing workforce behind.
What You Will Be Working On
- Manage payroll processing and review for all employees
including both salaried and hourly including on-cycle and off-cycle
pay periods, final paychecks and bonus payouts; assist with the
registration for new State/SUI/Local payroll tax.
- Work directly with Guideline's IT, Legal and People Operations
teams to ensure Payroll requirements, serving as the primary
contact for Payroll.
- Partner with the People Operations team to ensure payroll data
flows between PeopleOps and Payroll and ensure changes are
implemented correctly across multiple systems.
- Develop a user testing strategy for Payroll including assisting
in the auditing/reconciliation of the data for processing
- Reconcile payments for HSA, FSA, 401k and all company
- Be the system expert for Payroll, managing daily systems,
compliance with existing states and the addition of new states,
maintenance and ad hoc setup for internal payroll
- Help oversee the preparation, processing, maintenance and
appropriate distribution of payroll information, payroll reports,
and tax year-end reports, providing back up to other payroll
- Apply knowledge of IRS regulations, State taxes, wage and hour
laws, and local tax requirements to ensure compliance.
- Support month end close by providing payroll reports and
- Document payroll processes and workflows.
- Partner with the People team to ensure accurate processing of
new hires, terminations, raises, bonuses, and leaves of
- Be the main contact for all payroll related matters and provide
prompt, and efficient customer service to employees who have
questions regarding their pay, deductions, and the payroll
What We're Looking For
- 6+ years experience managing all aspects of payroll, including
familiarity with both salaried and hourly employees across multiple
- Maintain data confidentiality with a sense of professional
- Advanced level Excel skills (can perform complex functions),
with the ability to develop and create ad hoc reports
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or other
- Experience implementing ADP HRIS and Payroll system, including
familiarity with Ceridian
- Experience managing complex projects
- Experience managing multi-states DOR registration, including
payroll tax audits
- Experience with SOX compliance and procedures
- Experience with U.S. federal and state taxation
- Inquisitive and creative nature around designing
- Knowledge of payroll protocols, including IRS regulations,
Federal, State, and local tax and labor laws, and IRS Sections 401k
and 125, and worker's compensation required
- Multi-state tax and payroll compliance experience of wage and
hour requirements by state
- Working knowledge of general payroll protocols and accounting
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation
- Experience implementing payroll in new countries
More About Guideline
Technology is the backbone of what we do. It allows us to automate
many 401(k) administrative tasks, integrate with leading payroll
providers, and build affordable retirement plans for the smallest
But our platform is powered by people-engineers, account managers,
data analysts, retirement consultants, and many more. Together,
we're creating a retirement platform that puts people first and
empowers small business owners, their employees and the
self-employed to not just retire, but arrive at a secure
In just a few years of operations, we've grown to 30,000+ clients
and over $6 billion in assets under management-and have raised
$344M with top-tier investors.
- Flexible Vacation Policy
- Great Compensation Package + Equity in the Company
- 401(k) Matching
- 100% coverage of Health / Vision / Dental
- Generous parental leave policy
Guideline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees
and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, veteran status, or disability status.
Employment open to residents of AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL,
IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MO, NC, NH, NJ, NY, NV, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC,
TN, TX, UT, WA. Guideline is committed to protecting the privacy
and security of the personal information of our applicants. Please
refer to Guideline's for information about our privacy and security
Keywords: Guideline, Inc., San Mateo , Payroll Manager, Executive , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!