Annual Fund Manager
Company: Curi Odyssey
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: January 17, 2023
Due to the recent avian influenza outbreak in Northern
California, our raptor and walkthrough aviaries are closed to the
public until the outbreak subsides. This was done out of an
abundance of caution to protect our resident birds and keep them
safe. We appreciate your understanding. To read more, click here
.The mission of CuriOdyssey is to inspire a love for science and
curiosity about the world in young learners. Located in Coyote
Point Park in San Mateo County, CuriOdyssey has undergone a major
reinvention and full strategic planning process that has
transformed the organization into a vital, kid-centric interactive
science center and accredited California native animal wildlife zoo
that provides up-close and personal experiences with the natural
world. The organization is comprised of a strategic and engaged
Board of Trustees, visionary executive leadership, and a talented,
energetic and entrepreneurial staff.POSITION OVERVIEWCuriOdyssey is
seeking an Annual Fund Manager (AFM) who is eager to join an
effective development department which is gearing up to meet and
exceed revenue targets thanks to significant momentum gained from a
large community of new and existing donors.The AFM is responsible
for growing the donor and membership base, renewing and upgrading
individual support, and strengthening relationships with current
donors and members below the major donor level. The AFM is
accountable for meeting annual fund donation goals for donors who
contribute less than $10,000 annually. The AFM develops and
implements strategies for direct mail and electronic fundraising,
personalized communications and cultivation efforts, including
donor and member events and benefits.Further responsible for
setting standards and providing content for the member services
function, including tiered gift acknowledgments, member benefit
mailings, monthly newsletter and telephone communications.The AFM
will also be trained by the current Development Manager to aid in
design and production of Annual Fund mailings, gift processing and
acknowledgement, report generation from donor database, and other
tasks to ensure the Development department is running efficiently.
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative thinker, experienced in
raising contributed revenue from similar nonprofit entities such as
museums, educational organizations, science organizations, and/or
organizations with a social justice mission.CuriOdyssey is at an
exciting juncture in its 68-year lifespan as it successfully
manages a major capital campaign to replace its current 35-year-old
facility with a new campus concept. Construction is underway with a
fully accessible ADA "Physics in Action" playground, opened in
November 2021. CuriOdyssey has begun construction on the Bay
Gallery & Labs building with a first quarter 2023 completion date.
The AFM will serve in a pivotal role stewarding existing members
and donors to increase their annual giving and creating
opportunities for new donors to support the organization.The AFM
will identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors
and prospects to increase their investment in CuriOdyssey.The
Annual Fund Manager will have the opportunity to engage with
organizational efforts to create internal and external change
around racial justice, inclusion, and equity. The ideal candidate
will partner with an experienced team whose training in anti-racist
diversity, equity, and inclusion, will lead to robust new internal
capacities and external programs serving those who are furthest
from opportunity in the CuriOdyssey community. BIPOC candidates are
strongly encouraged to apply.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and grow Annual Fund and Membership programs.
- Working with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and marketing
staff, oversees the strategy development, design and implementation
of all direct mail solicitations to increase the number of donors
and prospects as well as their individual gift amounts.
- Manages the online giving program to increase annual
participation under the direction of the CDO and in consultation
with department staff.
- Executes initiatives to encourage new members to join and
existing members to renew online.
- Collaborates with the marketing staff to create a detailed
schedule of direct marketing activities and ensures the appropriate
review of copy and mailing list selection.
- Works with the CDO and Development Manager to determine
solicitation strategies for increased giving opportunities with
donors who contribute $500-$10,000; develops strategic donor
recognition opportunities and facilitates the transfer of these
donors between programs.
- Coordinates with appropriate staff to ensure fund/membership
program goals are met.
- Works with Development and Marketing teams to plan and
implement two to three membership receptions/events annually.
- Share leadership for overall strategy and implementation plan
for growing revenue from the Annual Fund donors.
- Identify, cultivate, create a solicitation strategy and solicit
and steward NEW donors with the goal of additional general
operating revenue support.
- In collaboration with the Development Team, ensure donor
database (Altru) is kept up to date for prospects in the portfolio,
developing and following procedures for reporting and evaluating
results of moves management process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.Key Performance Indicators for
AFM in year 1:
- Increase memberships by 10%
- Retain 80% existing memberships
- Grow new memberships by 30%
- Convert members to donors
- 25% of members become donors
- 25 member-donors increase their giving by 25% or more
- Increase donor giving
- Implement a moves management plan
- Migrate 30% of Annual Fund donors to next tier of givingJOB
- Commitment to the mission of CuriOdyssey
- Commitment to science and environmental education for children,
schools and families
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and engaging
- Demonstrated success managing and growing an Annual Fund
- Demonstrated success in (please provide specifics):
- demonstrated YOY contributed revenue growth via new and
- proven membership growth via direct mail and membership
- Experience with the full donor cycle - identification,
cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Knowledge of the local philanthropic community, and state and
- Proficiency in technological tools such as Altru (or similar
donor database) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to represent CuriOdyssey independently to
potential donors and make requests for support.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as
part of a team. Experience working with diverse
- Proven organizational skills including the ability to manage
multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and produce high quality
results on time.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, accuracy and attention to
- Available for occasional work events on weekends and
evenings.COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Benefits include: individual medical, dental, life insurance,
403(b) retirement plan, and museum membership
- Expected start date: December 1, 2022, or sooner
- Candidates are subject to background checks.
- CuriOdyssey seeks to build a diverse work team and encourages
applications from candidates who will add to that diversity.
CuriOdyssey is an equal opportunity employer and considers
applicants for all positions without regard to age, race, religious
creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability,
mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital
status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or
related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other status
protected by federal, state, or local laws.NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
CuriOdyssey seeks to build a diverse work team and encourages
applications from candidates who will add to that diversity.
CuriOdyssey is committed to creating an inclusive and equitable
workplace and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We
believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse
backgrounds enable us to better meet our mission. CuriOdyssey
considers applicants for all positions without regard to race,
color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability,
marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other
identifiable status. LOCATION 1651 Coyote Point Drive
San Mateo, CA 94401 CuriOdyssey is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, - Tax ID
Keywords: Curi Odyssey, San Mateo , Annual Fund Manager, Executive , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!