Executive Director, Diversity and Global Health Equity
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: January 22, 2023
DEI&B STATEMENTAt BeiGene, we like to say, cancer has no
borders, and neither do we.In order to create impactful medicines
that will help everyone, we believe in including everyone.We
continually foster and environment and culture that reflects and
supports the diverse communities of the patients we serve, the
unique qualities that each colleague brings to BeiGene, and our
core principles in support of social justice and equity for all.We
dont only want to be the best biotech company for our colleagues
and patients. We want to be best biotech company for the world.At
BeiGene, we are driven by the power of change, and we know that if
each of us focuses on diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging at
work and in our lives, we will leave a legacy that will continue
beyond us.Everyone belongs at BeiGene and were all in!General
Description:The Executive Director, Diversity and Global Health
Equity, is a strategic leadership role that reports into the Global
Head of HR and serves as a key member of the HR leadership team
(HRLT). This individual will be the global lead on all Diversity,
Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEI&B) matters for the company
and will collaborate and help drive all health equity initiatives
taking place across the organization.This role works
cross-functionally and partners with multiple internal and external
stakeholders including:Global Idea (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity &
Awareness) Council which serves a cross-functional advisory body,
Corporate Affairs Team, ESG (Environmental, Social & Governance)
group, Global Clinical Operations, Medical Affairs, Regulatory and
Patient Innovation, Learning & Development, Global Procurement,
external consulting firm(s), global work-life balance project team,
global benefits team, as well as internal and external
counsel.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must understand the importance of BeiGenes mission and its
values of Patients First, to improve global health and well-being,
Bold Ingenuity, to make bold commitments and deliver against them,
Driving Excellence, to have a sense of urgency and agility to
follow the science and deliver for patients while maintaining
integrity, while concurrently demonstrating Collaborative Spirit
and show respect for individual differences,
- Advances BeiGenes corporate reputation by serving as a public
ambassador in the industry through authentic engagement and
communication on health equity & DEI&B by effectively
partnering with internal and external stakeholders in the process,
putting our commitments to Patients First.
- Collaborates on health equity (the state in which everyone has
a fair and just opportunity to attain their highest level of
health), through patient assistance programs, collaborations with
charitable foundations, and external facing health equity
initiatives through patient advocacy organizations.
- Supports health equity by partnering with global benefits team
to ensure diverse and inclusive benefits for all employees in all
countries across the employee life cycle.
- Promotes initiatives to support colleague engagement and
well-being, including mental health as a key priority.
- Conducts industry benchmarking to track trends and progress in
this space, particularly in our industry.
- Participates on enterprise-wide health equity policies,
projects, and communications.
- Leads enterprise-wide DEI&B policies, projects, and
communications including pay equity studies and DEI&B
considerations in vendor selection and on-boarding.
- Demonstrates behaviors aligned with One Company culture through
open communication and maintaining an enterprise-wide mindset.
- Seeks to build a high-performing, inclusive culture by first
understanding the overall organizational health then identifying
gaps and then offering pragmatic and effective solutions.
- Creates and contributes content to the annual ESG report
commenting on health equity and DEI&B initiatives, goals, and
progress against the long-term health equity & DEI&B
- Supports the development of a diverse high potential talent
including rotations, internships and succession planning to
cultivate employees to their highest capability.
- Works with managers, employee relations, or legal to properly
address micro-aggressions where applicable, ensuring commitment to
our global code of conduct.
- Coaches leaders in creating a trust-based culture and develops
strategies that drive long-term performance
- Requires the individual to understand the various roles and
responsibilities of the business at a depth which will allow them
to challenge the business leaders to fully leverage existing
resources and to make trade-off decisions so that the highest
priority activities are adequately resourced.
- Fosters an environment where courage to deal with volatile
sensitive issues tactfully and to challenge appropriately is
strongly encouraged and consistently demonstrated.
- Models and propagates the Company values.
- Cultivates a diverse and inclusive environment. Creates
psychological safety for internal colleagues and external
- Must have strong presentation skills to present to leadership
teams internally and to also represent BeiGene in the external
community, speaking on DEI&B and health equity topics.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable requirements related to
laws and regulations.Education Required:BA/BS MA preferred; with
10+ years progressive experience in Human Resources, with expertise
in health equity and diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging
(DEI&B), preferably within the biotech /pharmaceutical / life
- 10+ years Health Equity and/or DEI&B experience ideally at
a pharmaceutical / biotech / life sciences organization.
- Bachelors Degree in business or related field; Masters degree a
- Certification(s) in DEI&B, global health, health equity,
- Military experience, where applicable will be applied against
the education and/or experience requirement.
- Fosters a dynamic, rewarding, and inclusive workplace, and
creates an environment of psychological safety for colleagues.
- Requires the ability to work as a team player with an
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to effectively operate in a
very fast-paced environment in multiple time zones
- Role will involve 25% or more local, regional, and global
travel while serving as a public ambassador.
- Must have strong written and verbal presentation skills and
properly represent BeiGene in external professional conferences and
in the broader community.
- Strategic planner with sound technical skills, analytical
ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus to executive
against strategic plans.
- Strong interpersonal and written, verbal and presentation
communication skills, with the ability to develop a high degree of
personal credibility across various internal and external
stakeholders and senior leaders.Competencies:Ethics - Treats people
with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity
and ethically; Upholds organizational values.Planning/Organizing -
Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows
instructions and responds to management direction.Communication -
Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks
clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes
clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written
information.Teamwork - Balances team and individual
responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to
building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own
interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed. Contributes to
building a positive team spirit and shares expertise with
others.Adaptability Able to adapt to changes in the work
environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method
to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change,
delays, or unexpected events.Technical Skills - Assesses own
strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities
for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills;
Shares expertise with others.Dependability - Takes responsibility
for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work
when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies
appropriate person with an alternate plan.Quality - Demonstrates
accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote
quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work
to ensure quality.Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse
information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and
experience to complement data.Problem Solving - Identifies and
resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes
information skillfully.Project Management - Communicates changes
and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
Keywords: BeiGene, San Mateo , Executive Director, Diversity and Global Health Equity, Executive , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!