Food Service Worker I - Extra Help (Open)
Company: San Mateo Medical Center
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: June 14, 2022
San Mateo County is seeking Food Service Workers I's - Extra Help
to perform a variety of work involving the preparation, serving,
and storage of food; assisting in maintaining the kitchen and other
dining areas in a clean and sanitary condition; performing routine
tasks related to delivering food and supplies; and possibly serving
as cashiers and/or servers in a cafeteria. The current vacancies
are in the San Mateo Medical Center to cover varied shifts. There
are currently two (2) part-time extra help vacancies.
Under general supervision, perform a variety of work involving the
preparation, serving, storage, and delivery of food; assist in
maintaining kitchen and other dining areas in clean and sanitary
condition; and perform routine office tasks related to ordering,
receiving, and delivering food and supplies.
Food Service Worker I is the entry/trainee level. Initially under
close supervision, incumbents learn a full range of Food Service
Worker duties. As experience is gained there is greater
independence of action within established guidelines. This
classification is flexibly staffed with Food Service Worker II and
incumbents may advance to the next level after gaining experience
and demonstrating proficiencies which meet the higher level
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly
basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under
the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed
permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist Cooks in the preparation of meals, as directed.
- Prepare food for cooking by peeling, cutting, or slicing.
- Prepare salads, sandwiches, beverages, and simple
- Set up tray lines and/or individual trays.
- Serve cafeteria and/or patient meals.
- May visit patients, assist with menu selections, and
- May direct activities on a portion of a tray line or in a dish
- May direct the work of juvenile detainees or adult inmates who
are assigned to clean and prepare food or assist in related routine
tasks defined by supervisors at specific facilities.
- Clean items used in the kitchen such as dishes, pots, pans,
containers, carts, and equipment.
- Clean facilities including sweeping, mopping, and sanitizing
work areas such as floors, storage spaces, and trucks; empty
- Assist with supplies and deliveries including signing for,
bringing in, and/or storing items.
- Perform basic office tasks such as answering phones, taking and
relaying messages, and checking catering schedules.
- Drive a truck or van to deliver food and supplies; may maintain
basic records related to vehicle use such as mileage and service
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely
provide the required
knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
- Basic kitchen cleaning and sanitation methods.
- Operation and care of kitchen equipment.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Prepare simple foods and beverages.
- Interact cooperatively with others including staff, patients,
inmates and members of the public.
- Work rapidly under pressure.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Maintain a high standard of personal cleanliness.
- Maintain basic records.
- Direct the work of juvenile detainees or adult inmates assigned
to assist in basic food service activities at specific
- Operate a truck or van.
- Lift, carry or push materials, supplies or equipment weighing
up to 50 pounds.
- Walk or stand for long periods of time.
If you are interested in being considered forthese extra help
positions, the following materials must be electronically submitted
in a Word or PDF format.
- Cover letter
Please include the words 'Food Service Worker I - Extra Help ' in
the subject line of the email submission. Please submit the
required materials electronically via email to:
Ron Senior,Director of Food and Nutrition Services
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and
well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Apply immediately! These positions could be filled at any time. Do
not miss out on this opportunity to work with a great team!
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials
sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals
that do not include all required elements (Resume and responses to
the supplemental questions) will not be considered.
The County of San Mateo may require that all employees provide
proof of COVID-19 vaccine or comply with weekly COVID-19 testing.
Employees hired into specified health care facilities and other
high-risk settings where there is potential for frequent COVID-19
exposure to staff and highly vulnerable patients are required to
provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For more specific
information, please refer to the County's .
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity
of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel
valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal
Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Wendy Young (060222) (Food Service Worker I - S038)
Please visit for a complete listing of all benefits for this
Benefits are offered to eligible employees of the County of San
Mateo.All benefits are subject to change.
As an additional benefit, the County offers extensive training and
development programs designed to improve skills and enhance career
opportunities.Most programs are offered on County time at no cost
County employees are also covered by the federal Social Security
system and earn benefits for retirement based on salary and time
Keywords: San Mateo Medical Center, San Mateo , Food Service Worker I - Extra Help (Open), Hospitality & Tourism , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!