Friendship Line Volunteer Supervisor
Company: Institute on Aging
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Institute on Aging ("IOA") is a San Francisco based non-profit
agency dedicated to preserving the dignity, independence and
well-being of aging adults and people living with disabilities. We
believe the future should be something to look forward to, at every
age. We embrace the Bay Area's vibrant and varied culture and
celebrate the diversity of its inhabitants. We have a commitment to
representing, honoring and enhancing the journeys of aging adults,
including those from many different cultures.
The Center for Elderly Suicide Prevention, Friendship Line &
Medication Oversight Program Department is seeking a Volunteer
Supervisor located at IOA's headquarters in San Francisco's Inner
Richmond neighborhood. Reporting to the Senior Director, Integrated
Behavioral Health, the Volunteer Supervisor provides management,
hiring and training for volunteers and interns, and provides
training to staff.
This position may be remote in California but will require
occasional appearances at the HQ in San Francisco for training or
other required reasons. Candidates must reside within California.
The position is Full-Time - 40 hours/ week (Hours flexible - some
weekends required. Approx. hours 10 am-6pm).
- Directly supervises 150+ volunteers and interns
- Supervises volunteers as needed and provides leadership to
counselors/ shift leads and Friendship Line Supervisor on best
strategies to work with and lead volunteers during assigned
- Works in collaboration with Friendship Line Supervisor and
Volunteer Coordinator to utilize call center data to motivate,
educate, and maintain volunteers.
- On a rotation basis, shares in duties of providing on-call
supervisory support to overnight volunteers and staff and ensures
that Friendship Line Staff is aware of performance issues.
Operational Support, Training and Other Duties
- Works in collaboration with Friendship Line Staff to provide
trainings to staff and volunteers that meet accreditation and grant
requirements. Including a lead roll in coordinating and running
volunteer weekend trainings.
- Works in collaboration with Friendship Line supervisor to
evaluate, monitor, and acquire appropriate clinical training for
counselors and volunteers
- Serve as representative for Friendship Line services both
within IOA and in the Community.
- Recruit, train and track all new volunteers and interns. Create
opportunities at Friendship Line to attract new volunteers.
- Participate in fundraising events and opportunities as
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
Volunteer program administration:
- Primarily engaged in development and implementation of
volunteer program policies and procedures.
- Produce quarterly accounting of volunteer usage for senior
leadership review. Compile other reports as needed.
- Maintain confidential volunteer personnel files and
- Has the authority to hire or terminate Volunteers, make
meaningful suggestions and recommendations relating to the hiring
or termination and advancement and promotion or any other change of
status of other volunteers
- Perform other department tasks as assigned.
- Responsible for creating new agency contacts and partnerships
within the community for recruitment possibilities, acting as
primary liaison with local colleges and universities.
- Represent the Friendship Line at Volunteer recruitment events
in the community
- Maintain and actively recruit online volunteer postings.
- Screen prospective volunteers -phone and in person
- Primarily engaged in duties related to Interviewing, Selecting
and Training employees
- Coordinate prospective volunteers' paperwork, background
checks, and reference checks.
- Schedule and train new volunteers through their observation
- Primarily engaged in quarterly evaluations of volunteers.
- Participate in volunteer disciplinary measures when
- Exercises discretionary authority to hire or let-go Volunteers-
makes meaningful suggestions and recommendations relating to the
employment and advancement and promotion or any other change of
status of other volunteers
- Organize yearly volunteer appreciation event in April.
- Plan and execute ongoing volunteer appreciation measures.
- Participate in creating retention plan.
- Serve as lead contact for volunteers.
- Plan, organize and implement multiple new volunteer trainings
- Bachelor's Degree.
- One year of experience in volunteer training, recruitment,
- One year of supervisory and team leadership experience.
- Master's Degree preferred; Human Services, Social Work, or
other health-related field, including Gerontology, Psychology, or
Health Sciences. Can accrue clinical hours toward licensure in this
- Telecommunications or Call Center experience.
- Experience conducting trainings and workshops.
- Experience working with older adults and people with
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication
skills; detail-oriented; ability to multi-task and to follow
through to project completion.
- Ability to maintain a high level of discretion and handle
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Community-oriented; interested in working on issues in aging
and mental health.
- Demonstrates good problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in use of Excel, Word, and Outlook software.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Five finger dexterities.
We encourage you to learn more about IOA by logging onto
IOA reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours
Institute on Aging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Institute
on Aging is committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive work
environment and providing equal opportunities to all employees and
job applicants without regard to age, race, religion, color,
national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
disposition, neuro-diversity, disability, veteran status or any
other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will
consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and
Keywords: Institute on Aging, San Mateo , Friendship Line Volunteer Supervisor, Other , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!