Life Science Research Professional-2
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: January 10, 2022
Pay Grade: E
The Weinacht Laboratory has an opening for a highly motivated and
collaborative Life Science Research Professional (LSRP2) with an
interest in stem cell biology and development of the adaptive
immune system. Successful candidates will join the Pediatric
Division of Stem Cell Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine at
Stanford University, School of Medicine.
Our research group uses targeted differentiation of induced
pluripotent stem cells to reconstruct the developmental signals
that drive thymic epithelial cell differentiation. We also apply
our stem cell differentiation platform to dissect the mechanistic
basis of genetic diseases that perturb thymic development. The
ultimate goal of our work is to develop stem cell-derived
regenerative thymic tissues as a platform-technology for
immunotherapy and to cure patients with thymic defects. As such,
candidates with strong biological background and an interest in
translational medicine (therapeutic applications of science in
medicine) are particularly suitable. The LSRP will learn to
generate and characterize induced pluripotent cells (iPSCs),
acquire expertise in targeted differentiation techniques, analysis
of developmental molecular signatures and signaling pathways. In
addition, the applicant has the opportunity to study corresponding
The LSRP will be a member of a larger research collaborative team
that includes stem cell biologists, immunologists, bioengineers and
bioinformaticians. Candidates with outstanding personal initiative
as well as prior experience in stem cell/molecular/developmental
biology, immunology, bioinformatics or related fields are
encouraged to apply. This position is suitable for applicants with
prior research experience interested in building a competitive
resume. Candidates must adhere to highest ethical principles when
working with laboratory animals.
Candidates can expect individualized mentorship tailored to their
personal career goals and a positive and goal-oriented work
Learn more about our lab here:
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in
lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of
experiments and outcomes.
- Strong TC skills are required; Prior experience working with
human ESCs/iPSCs and in vitro differentiation is a plus.
- Specific duties will include but are not limited to:
- Tissue culture including maintenance and targeted differentiation
of iPSCs, culture of fibroblasts and peripheral blood cells.
- Animal (mouse) colony management including husbandry, breeding,
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to
interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer
suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in
collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Work flexible hours (weekend or holiday tasks are required
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock
and inventory records up to date, manage chemical inventory and
safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students
on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in related scientific field (e.g.
stem cell biology, developmental biology, molecular biology) .
- Additional experience in related biological field, e.g.,
immunology or in bioinformatics is very desirable .
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED): Bachelor's degree in related
scientific field and two years of relevant work experience; or
Master's degree in a related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES: None
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- Add or subtract physical requirements based on the requirements
of your specific job. (remove this statement for posting)
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
Add or subtract physical requirements based on the requirements of
your specific job. (remove this statement for posting
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4952
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: G
- Department URL: http://pediatrics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 91941 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, San Mateo , Life Science Research Professional-2, Other , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!