Life Science Research Professional 1
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: January 11, 2022
The Department of Anesthesia is seeking a full-time Life Science
Research Professional 1 (LSRP1) to participate in a cardiovascular
research project. The research primarily utilizes patient-specific
induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes to model
cardiac disorders. The successful candidate must have experience in
human cell culture techniques, genomic and protein expression
molecular techniques with an excellent record keeping ability and
organization skills. Prior experience with induced pluripotent stem
cell research is highly desired, but not a requirement. A minimal
part of the project will include animal experiments and prior
experience working with mice is desired. The candidate must exhibit
a great deal of independence and be able to independently design
experiments, carry them out and assist with analyzing and
- Induced pluripotent stem cell reprogramming and culture
- Perform cardiomyocyte and endothelial cell phenotype and
molecular evaluation protocols
- Subcutaneous injection of drugs in pregnant mice.
- Perform physiological experiments in vitro and in vivo.
- Plan and perform existing experiments in support of ongoing
research projects based on knowledge of scientific theory.
Interpret and perform analyses of results.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and related research.
- Offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- A Bachelor of Science in molecular biology or related
discipline or equivalent experience
- Two years experience
- Technical writing experience in SOP's, protocols, and
- Proficiency with human cell culture techniques, experience with
iPSC is highly valued
- Experience with laboratory animal experiments, in particular,
s.c. injection of drugs
- Experience with tissue homogenization and single cell
preparation from various tissues, primarily cardiomyocytes
- Proficiency with basic molecular biology techniques, such as
gel electrophoresis, PCR, and recombinant DNA techniques
- Routinely perform cardiomyocyte and endothelial cell
differentiation experiments using human iPSCs
- Possess initiative, ability to multi-task and a desire to
acquire new technical skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and
- Experimental design, execution of plan and presentation of data
- Utilization of good documentation practices
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- Ability to work with mice
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
- Add or subtract physical requirements based on the requirements
of your specific job. (remove this statement for posting)
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4910
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Pay Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 92534 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, San Mateo , Life Science Research Professional 1, Other , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!