Life Science Research Professional 1 (1-Year Fixed Term)
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: November 24, 2022
The Wandless Lab in the Department of Chemical and Systems
Biology at Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research
Professional 1 for a 1 year fixed term to perform basic functions
and activities involved in defined research projects, and
independently conduct and analyze experiments.
Our lab focuses on the development and application of novel
chemical biology techniques to enable experimental study of
biological processes with unprecedented control. The LSRP will work
with a graduate student to characterize a novel cellular stress
response to unfolded protein using cell and molecular biology
techniques. Previous experience working in a lab setting with
methods including cloning, Western blot, tissue culture, flow
cytometry, fluorescence microscopy, RT-qPCR, etc. and familiarity
with data analysis using R is preferred, but not required, as the
position includes a focus on scientific training and development.
The LSRP will primarily work with the supervision of a graduate
student with opportunities to plan/conduct independent experiments,
present lab meetings and journal clubs, and contribute to
We are looking for a 1-year commitment for this position with some
flexibility on end date depending on the candidate's circumstances
and needs. The lab roster is small but part of an active department
with frequent seminars and social events. This position is ideal
for candidates applying to medical or graduate school who desire
additional research experience.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in
lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of
experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to
interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer
suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in
collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students
on lab procedures or techniques. - Other duties may also be
- Bachelor's degree in a biology or related scientific field
- Experience in a molecular biology lab setting
- Strong grasp of basic lab techniques (pipetting, sterile
technique, dilutions, preparing buffers, etc.)
- Prefer experience (but not required) with cell and molecular
biology methods including cloning, Western blot, tissue culture,
flow cytometry, fluorescence microscopy, RT-qPCR and data analysis
using R EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion. - Consistent with its
obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable
accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires
accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs. WORK STANDARDS:
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, . As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, San Mateo , Life Science Research Professional 1 (1-Year Fixed Term), Other , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!