Life Science Research Professional1
Company: Stanford University
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research
Professional 1 (LSRP1) to aid in the isolation and characterization
of catalytic antibodies in human autoimmune pathologies of multiple
sclerosis, myalgic encephalitis/ chronic fatigue syndrome and
rheumatoid arthritis; the LSRP1 will work closely with their
supervisor on the project to conduct experiments as well as
maintain communication with our collaborators in the departments of
Stanford Neurology and Rheumatology for the purposes of acquiring
human specimens (e.g., plasma and cerebral spinal fluid) for our
study. The LSRP1 will be working off campus at the Stanford Genome
Technology Center-one of the largest SoM basic science research
labs with 70 staff scientists, graduate students, postdocs,
visiting scholars and students.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in
lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of
experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to
interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer
suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in
collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students
on lab procedures or techniques. - Other duties may also be
One of the focuses of our lab is to isolate and characterize
catalytic antibodies in human autoimmune pathology.
Therefore it is preferred the LSRP1 has a fundamental knowledge of
the following areas:
1) enzymology as it relates to Michaelis-Menten kinetics
2) immunology (e.g. antibody production and tolerance)
3) disease pathology of the human autoimmune system (i.e., multiple
sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and myalgic encephalitis/ chronic
Preferred laboratory skills and/ or concepts include:
Gel electrophoresis, enzyme-linked immuno assays, and accurate
It is also desirable the LSRP1 maintains excellent laboratory
practice when handling human specimens (e.g. plasma and cerebral
spinal fluid) for the purposes of aliquoting, storing and purifying
proteins; furthermore, an understanding of the basic concepts of
protein separation/ isolation techniques including high performance
liquid chromatography, and how to interpret gel and chromatographic
results, is a plus.
A bachelor's degree in general biology or related field is also
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion. - Consistent with its
obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable
accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires
accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs. WORK STANDARDS:
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, . As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford University, San Mateo , Life Science Research Professional1, Other , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!