Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
Company: Curi Odyssey
Location: San Mateo
Posted on: March 11, 2023
Due to the recent avian influenza outbreak in Northern
California, our raptor and walkthrough aviaries are closed to the
public until the outbreak subsides. This was done out of an
abundance of caution to protect our resident birds and keep them
safe. We appreciate your understanding. To read more, click here
.ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEWThe mission of CuriOdyssey is to inspire a
love for science and curiosity about the world in young learners.
Located in Coyote Point Park in San Mateo County, CuriOdyssey has
undergone a major reinvention and full strategic planning process
that has transformed the organization into a vital, kid-centric
interactive science center and accredited California native animal
wildlife zoo that provides up-close and personal experiences with
the natural world. The organization is comprised of a strategic and
engaged Board of Trustees, visionary executive leadership, and a
talented, energetic and entrepreneurial staff.POSITION OVERVIEWWe
are seeking a leader that reflects our institutional personality
and values, can work
collaboratively on a team and demonstrates excellent communication
and interpersonal skills. The VEC will help coordinate our existing
Volunteer program, which includes onsite and virtual volunteers
ranging from high schoolers, working professionals, to retirees.
The VEC will support daily operations, new volunteer recruitment
and onboarding, ongoing community outreach efforts, and serve as a
thought partner on ways to level up existing practices.ROLE AND
- General volunteer management and coordination of a growing team
- Managing routine operations including email communication,
tracking volunteer hours, posting volunteer opportunities, weekly
volunteer announcements and servicing the volunteer desk.
- In collaboration with the Director of Volunteer Engagement,
support volunteer recruitment, selection, training, recognition,
placement, and other related work as required.
- Coordinator is responsible for managing volunteers and programs
within the department, and interdepartmentally.
- Work with departments to identify volunteer needs and develop
an effective strategy for sourcing.
- In collaboration with the Education team, coordinate logistics
of annual volunteer training.
- Community outreach at local high schools, fairs, and community
events to help spread awareness about volunteer needs.
- Collaborate on program evaluation and reporting on all aspects
of volunteerism.STEMCorps Program
- In collaboration with the Director of Volunteer Engagement,
support mentor recruitment, selection, training, and placement as
- Work in conjunction with STEMCorps Coordinator to plan
logistics for virtual mentor training
- Collaborate with the Education department to develop a phased
plan to increase Youth Advocacy and Leadership opportunities
through volunteerism and community engagement.
- Coordinate implementation of expanded and new programs for
middle and high school-aged students.
- Support the achievement of STEMCorps programmatic goals and
objectives, including STEMCorps Mentors, and STEMCorps Youth
Leaders, in collaboration with the Director of Education and
Director of Volunteer Engagement.Third Thursdays @CuriOdyssey
- Support efforts to build and retain followers at monthly STEM
- In collaboration with Director of Volunteer Engagement,
Marketing, and Events, plan and execute every aspect of recurring
- Cross-collaborate on event promotion via website, social media,
local community, and corporate partners.
- Manage Eventbrite registration, set up & breakdown of event
space, guest speaker & staff support.DESIRED QUALITIES
- 2+ years of related experience working with volunteers and
program management, preferably at a non-profit, or cultural
institution such as a zoo, museum, or in the STEM industry.
- Demonstrated ability to write professionally in a clear and
concise manner. Writing sample is required.
- Must possess impeccable attention to detail and organizational
- Enthusiasm for providing educational opportunities to young
people, including those historically underrepresented in STEM
- Creative, design-thinking mindset that has experience with
and/or enthusiasm for taking a program from pilot to scale.
- Demonstrated track record of program facilitation and
collaboration with a high degree of social and emotional
- The ideal teammate will have professional and/or lived
experience with values of diversity, equity, accessibility and
inclusion, and embrace organizational aspirations to create a
welcoming and affirming environment for all staff, volunteers and
guests.ABOUT THE VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR POSITION
- This is a non-exempt, 40 hour/week position, with work
hours/schedule based upon program season and departmental
- Occasional nights/weekend/holiday scheduling for certain
programs and/or events.
- This position requires the following:
- Take and clear a Live Scan background check.
- Mandated reporter trainingPHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING
CONDITIONSThe physical demands herein are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these
essential job functions.Environment: Work is conducted at
CuriOdyssey and immediately local space at Coyote Point. Programs
will take place indoors and outdoors in various weather
conditions.Mobility: Physical ability and endurance to occasionally
carry and lift heavy materials, up to 50 pounds. Frequently move
from a sitting to standing position.COMPENSATION AND BENEFITSPay
Rate: $24/hourThis is a non-exempt full-time position with a
desired start date of (immediately). The general work schedule
varies according to program needs and is Tues. - Sat. 9:00am -
6:00pmBenefits include: individual medical, dental, life insurance,
403(b) retirement plan, CuriOdyssey membership, CuriOdyssey Shop
discount, camp discounts for children of staff.TO APPLY
- Send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references to
Tonaka Kendrick, jobs(at)curiodyssey.org with "Volunteer Engagement
Coordinator" in the subject line.
- Candidates are subject to background checks.
- NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE CuriOdyssey seeks to build a diverse work
team and encourages applications from candidates who will add to
that diversity. CuriOdyssey is committed to creating an inclusive
and equitable workplace and we are proud to be an equal opportunity
employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers
with diverse backgrounds enable us to better meet our mission.
CuriOdyssey considers applicants for all positions without regard
to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age,
disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any
other identifiable status. LOCATION 1651 Coyote Point Drive
San Mateo, CA 94401 CuriOdyssey is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, - Tax ID
Keywords: Curi Odyssey, San Mateo , Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, Other , San Mateo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...